The Old Tolbooth (c.1770, B-listed) was a prominent waterfront building that had fallen into decline. In its heyday it was used for civic purposes but by the end of the 20th century it was only partially used by local charity organisations and had become quite dilapidated.
The refurbishment project was developed in consultation with Historic Scotland and included the replication of the original clocktower which had been removed in 1927. Fortunately there were old photographs and drawings which enabled this important element to be accurately reproduced.
The main working area of the RNLI station is located in the basement which has direct access to the quayside, and the public areas are on the ground floor which has access off the main street. A training room and private quarters are located on the first floor, and the attic is used purely for storage.
The building fabric was in poor condition and an assessment of this in conjunction with the new functional requirements led to installation of a new lightweight structural steel frame within the original stone walls. The re-harling of the external walls was undertaken in close co-operation with the Scottish Lime Centre.